Some kind of happiness

Some Kind of Happiness - Claire Legrand

It makes me sad the way this story, with so much potential, was wasted. I liked many things about it: a main character who is a 10 years old girl who suffers from anxiety, depression and panic attacks (I loved the idea of introduced kids to this topic!); the fantastic stories she writes about the Everwood, and how these stories mixed with reality; what means to be part of a family and how we fit or do not fit in it; Finley struggles to accept her parents' divorce; honesty, responsibility and integrity.
I liked the beginning of the book, and I really enjoyed the end, but I felt it dragged, and dragged, and dragged, and dragged in the middle. In my opinion this book shouldn't have close to 400 pages. One hundred of them are unnecessary, which makes it repetitive and boring. Finley "inside" feelings are described over and over again, in nearly the same words. Same thing with her thoughts about her parents' divorce. I get the importance of put these feelings in words to "reach" the reader, but there's no need of repeat everything 5 or 6 times.
I thought in rating it 3 stars, but keeping in mind the age range this book is addressed to, I think 2 stars is fair. I would say that many kids would feel like giving up the book when it becomes repetitive and the plot stagnant.

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.